The best drop spreaders will help you save a huge amount of time. They are a must-have for homeowners with large lawns. They are versatile in the sense that they can spread a variety of materials, including ice melt, grass seeds, fertilizer, and salt, among others.
They distribute these products uniformly to help you come up with a beautiful lawn that you have ever wanted. However, these quality drop spreaders are not there for the taking.
You must do some research to increase your chances of getting them. And in this article, we provide you with exactly what you need to find a suitable product.
List of The Best Drop Spreaders in Reviews
01. Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard Mini Broadcast Spreader
What makes this drop spreader one of the best units in its class is the EdgeGuard Technology. It’s one of the few models with this kind of technology. The technology keeps products off sidewalks, driveways, and landscapes.
The technology and other features we will mention later on prove that this mini broadcast spreader has what it takes to deliver outstanding results. In fact, expect nothing but exceptional results when this model is used with Scotts grass seed and fertilizer.
Besides, this spreader can be used to spread salt. It comes 100-percent assembled and pre-calibrated so you can use it right out of the box. What’s more, this mini broadcast spreader features a fold-down handle to help make it easy to store once you are done using it.
- Very easy to use
- Great for spreading salt across the driveway
- Perfect for situations where hand sprayers may not be very accurate
- Appears to be solidly constructed
- The wheels tend to collect whatever you are spreading. But this can quickly be fixed by putting a baking tin or cardboard on them.
02. Agri-Fab 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader (45-0463)
Manufacturers back their products with various warranties because they believe in their quality. That being said, Agri-Fab provides an industry-leading 3-year limited warranty to protect this tow-behind broadcast spreader from defects in workmanship and materials.
The warranty will give you peace of mind during purchase. This unit is proudly made in the USA with some imported materials. It is exactly what you need if you have a larger lot i.e. an acre or more. It is equipped with the original Agri-Fab rod activated on/off flow gate control, which you can operate from your tractor’s seat.
This spreader also features enclosed tapered gears, a precise setting, and rust-resistant poly hopper. These features work together to provide consistent spreading for years to come. Plus, there are large tires that feature a wide wheelbase to provide great stability on rougher terrains.
- The manufacturer is responsive
- Proudly made in the USA
- Saves time and makes life super convenient
- Very stable on rough, uneven terrain
- Spreads evenly and seems well made
- The price is a bit on the high side, but it’s worth it
03. Scotts EdgeGuard DLX Broadcast Spreader (Turf Builder)
What we like about this broadcast spreader is that the capacity of its hopper is large. And this enables it to hold up to 15,000 square feet of Scotts Lawn Products. What’s more, this broadcast spreader features EdgeGuard Technology that helps keep the product off the driveway or sidewalk.
There is also a control panel that features precision rate settings to deliver more precise coverage. Besides, this deluxe broadcast spreader comes calibrated and ready for use. In other words, you do not need to assemble anything.
Once you have received it, all you need to do is to start spreading the product you wanted to spread. The spreader holds such products as grass seed, ice melt, salt, and fertilizer. It is very affordable yet will quickly prove to be an indispensable tool on your lawn.
- Appears to hold much more than most spreaders
- The arrows in the plastic are a plus
- Holds up and works well all the time
- A perfect purchase for those with small lots
- The calibration out of the box leaves a lot to be desired
04. Scotts Turf Builder Classic Spreader (Drop)
The hopper of this classic drop spreader may not be the largest, but it still holds up to 10,000 sq. ft. of Scotts Lawn Care Products. As such, we can confidently that it is a useful classic drop spreader. It comes 100-percent assembled, just like other spreaders by Scotts.
Well, this is really great because not all spreader models come fully assembled. It is one of the few spreaders you will be able to use right out of the box. The heavy-duty frame shows that this drop spreader is built to last.
You should, therefore, spend on it with peace of mind knowing that you will not be forced to buy a new spreader after just a short while. It is great for medium-sized areas, which need precise application. Such areas are tight curves or heavily landscaped areas.
- Works with fertilizers and salts without any issues
- Great for the average homeowner
- The handle folds down for storage
- Scotts has great customer support
- Not suitable for large yards
05. Scotts Elite Spreader
Unlike most spreaders by Scotts, the Scotts Elite Spreader needs assembly upon arrival. However, it is a minor assembly; hence, this should not be a major concern. All you need to do is remove the agitator pins in the event that you plan to use the unit to spread coarse rock salt.
This elite spreader features an ergonomic handle, which, in turn, has a smartphone holder. The ergonomic handle will let you use the spreader for long hours without fatigue. The spreader also features never-flat tires that are more than ready to conquer any terrain.
Plus, it comes equipped with dual rotor technology that offers unmatched precision. Another feature you must know is the 6-foot spread pattern that saves a lot of time. According to Scotts, this is their most precise spreader ever. It holds up to 20,000 square feet of lawn products.
- Great for large lawns
- Very easy to learn how to use it
- The handle folds down to make storage a breeze
- Very well balanced and easy to push
- The spreader has intuitive features
- Puts out fertilizers a little too fast
06. Brinly 75 lb Tow-Behind Broadcast Spreader, 175 lbs (BS36BH)
Nothing is poetic in having to refill the hopper of your broadcast spreader every now and then. Brinly knows that too as seen in this two-behind broadcast spreader. It has equipped the spreader with a high-capacity hopper that holds up to 175 pounds of seeds, ice melt or fertilizers.
The high-capacity hopper maximizes the time spent spreading versus the time taken to refill the hopper. Ideally, it makes this broadcast spreader perfect for 1-acre or more yards. All the parts that come to contact with corrosive fertilizers are built to last.
Needless to say, this broadcast spreader will stand the test of time. As if that’s not enough, this broadcast spreader boasts patented auto-flow that, in turn, has a spread pattern control.
- Arrives on time and in good condition
- The broadcast spreader is very well made
- Comes with instructions to help make assembly easier
- The on/off control handle works really well
- A better alternative to hand fertilizing
- The wheelbase could be wider
07. Agri-Fab 45-0388 Push Broadcast Spreader (85-Pound)
We’ve all wanted a beautiful lawn. But that can be quite difficult to achieve unless you have a high-performance broadcast spreader like the Agri-Fab 45-0388 model. This 85lb push broadcast spreader maintains a wide distribution of fertilizer and, at the same time, minimizes the necessary energy, time, and fertilizer to cultivate the lawn.
It distributes fertilizer in a random spray pattern so it can cover up to 8 – 10 feet. In one fill, the push broadcast spreader can cover up to 14,000 sq. ft. As its name suggests, this broadcast spreader is designed to be pushed manually.
And this is really great because it improves its versatility. That being said, the Agri-Fab 45-0388 is also useful for spreading grass seed or ice melt in large open areas.
- Does a good job of spreading grass seeds or fertilizer
- The price is reasonable
- Putting the spreader together is somewhat straightforward
- Tires are real and have air in them
- Would be better if the wing nut was metal – plastic is kind of flimsy
08. Agri-Fab 175-Pound Max Tow Behind Drop Spreader (45-0288)
When looking to buy a drop spreader, all you want is a good unit that can stand the test of time with proper care and use. Well, the Agri-Fab 45-0288 model is the answer to your search. It is packed with 13 by 4-inch pneumatic tires; meaning it provides super smooth rides even on rougher terrains.
Although it needs some assembly, this should not be a concern because the manufacturer provides a video instruction guide to help with the assembly process. The capacity of this unit’s hopper is 175 pounds. And the spreader width is 42 inches.
Ideally, this unit boasts coverage of 1 acre, which is an equivalent of 40,000 square feet. The spreader also has an on/off control that can be accessed from the seat of the tractor.
- The manufacturer is helpful
- The drop spreader is very well made
- The price is very good
- Seems to be of good quality
- The spreader delivers superior results
- The adjustment arm for spreading is a bit flimsy
09. Agri-Fab 185lb. 45-0329 ATV Tow Broadcast Spreader
The capacity of this broadcast spreader is 185 pounds and the coverage is around 40,000 square feet. The spread width, on the other hand, is up to 12 feet. These dimensions are a clear indication that the Agri-Fab 45-0329 is built to deliver superior results.
As if that’s not enough, this two broadcast spreader has extra-large pneumatic tires, which, in turn, feature a gear disengage and ball bearings. These extra-large pneumatic tires enable the spreader to move around smoothly.
Another exceptional feature you must know is the raised on/off direct rod that’s can be accessed from the tractor or ATV/UTV. Besides, the Agri-Fab 45-0329 comes with a 3-year limited warranty for worry-free buying. It also comes with a spreader grate and vinyl hopper cover.
- Pretty sturdy and well built
- Customer service is great
- Assembling the spreader is a cakewalk
- Shipping is fairly quick
- Comes with all the necessary accessories
- The packaging leaves a lot to be desired
10. Spyker Commercial Drop Spreader (P70-12010)
The Spyker P70-12010 may be expensive, but that does not mean it should not be on your wish list. Equipped with 2 side-by-side hopper portions, this commercial drop spreader can work with various materials, including seed, sand, ice melt, fertilizer, and top dressing material, among others.
Ideally, this drop spreader is suitable for use throughout the year. So, whether it is summer, winter or spring, this drop spreader will get the job done. You can use it during winter to distribute ice melt to pathways, walkways, sidewalks, and more. You can also use it during spring and summer to lay down fertilizer, top dressing or seeds on newly-established lawns.
When both hopper sections are filled, this drop spreader will spread 36 inches wide. If you need to spread in narrow, tight areas, it is advisable to only fill one side of the hopper for a spread width of 18”.
- The spreader appears to be very well made
- Tires are of good quality
- The control mechanism for the variable rate spreader is accurate
- Both hopper sections can be filled
- Assembly instructions need to be improved
Broadcast and drop spreaders are nice purchases if you have a large lawn to care for. They help spread products uniformly to help you create a beautiful lawn that will receive a lot of compliments. But, as mentioned before, finding a quality one can be pretty difficult to find; thanks to the numerous brands on the market. That being said, you need to read this article before buying anything.